Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Get Busy Livin'

Last night I sat down and watched Shawshank Redemption. If you haven't seen the movie before I highly suggest you give it a look-see! It's based on a Stephen King novel so you know it's a great one!
I won't review it today, but I did find something in watching it that got me thinking.

There's a quote in the movie that is said by Red (Morgan Freeman's character):

           "Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'"

And it got me thinking, as cliche as it might sound, it's absolutely true!
Now what I am about to say may sound a little strange to some, but I speak for anybody who may be able to relate in some way.

Having been out of college for 8 months now as a freelance filmmaker in a city where jobs are scarce it's hard to keep busy and it's hard to stay motivated to do things. You work only so many days a week, you're home all day by yourself and sometimes you just don't want to go out and do things, even with friends. So when you're pacing around your house all day it can, in a way, feel like a prison. All your doing is waiting for Mr. Opportunity to come a knockin' and set you free. That right there, friend, is us dying.
But what if Mr. Opportunity was sitting beside us all along and we just didn't notice? He's been flailing his arms to get our attention all we have to do is turn our heads and look for him! He's right there!! Can't you see him?? Go get him!!!! Well that there, is us living!


There's another quote I heard recently that said:

"You only get out of life, what you put in to it."

So then, if your going to do nothing with your life, you'll get nothing out of it. How you like them apples?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is if there is anyone out there, whether your my age, younger or older and you feel all your doing is laps around a barbed wire fence and singing the chain gang song, I would like for you to join me, Mr. Opportunity, and Andy Dufresne and break free! 
I'll be honest it's not going to happen over night and yes we may end up having to crawl through some 500 yards of crap (not literally) but once we reach the other side, and feel that cool rain wash over our faces and we tear away our metaphorical prison clothes, you'll know that it was all worth it!

So what do you think? Can't you just hear Morgan Freeman's voice in your head right now telling you to get busy livin' or get busy dying?
Which one will you choose?





No comments:

Post a Comment